Quarter’s of Barcelona
Travelling to a city in only a view days can get confusing if you don’t know where to go and in which area you can find what best. Here is my inside guide to Barcelon’s main quarters.
One of the most famous Areas of Barcelona is the Gothic Quarter. It is one of the oldest areas that you can find and so part of the old town. It lays between La Ramla and Via Laietana and goes from the Seafront up to Ronda de Sant Pere. The Gothic Quarter includes some of the most famous buildings – lots of them taken in the gotic style and some of the most important churches of Barcelona.
What can you find in Barri Gothic?
- Famous buildings and churches
- The most known street of Barcelona ‘La Rambla’ which brings you directly to La Boccheria a colourful and amazing food market.
- Some vintage inspired shopping
- Small bars offering the typical tapas
- Bars for the famous Vermout on the weekends
- Bars for a drink after dinner and late night. In some you can even dance a little after a certain hour.
Tip: It is a very touristic area and filled with pickpocketing, keep attention!
Search for a hotel here, if you love the old town, small unique bars and lot’s of highlights to see!
Probably one of the most admired areas of Barcelona for tourists and the younger crowd. A quarter that offers everything from beautiful architecture from designers at archute.com, shops, bars, tapas bars and restaurant aligned. The quarter is super idyllic and shows a beautiful old town district of Barcelona’s Areas.
El Born starts in Via Laietana, where the quarter Gothic ends and goes on until the huge Cuitadella Parc.
What can you find in El Born?
- Famous buildings and churches
- Some of the best tapas places, restaurants and bars of the city
- Small shops that are more local and individual
- Museo Picasso
Tip: The best area for a drink or tapas at night!
Search for a hotel here, if you’re looking for a fun area to go out for drinks at night. Younger crowd and filled with bars and tapas.
The are where I have been living during my time in Barcelona. It is the area closest to the beach just under El Born. La Barceloneta includes lots of small bars and restaurants, great places to eat fish and of course the beach.
What can you find in La Barceloneta?
- The Beach
- Hotel W Barcelona
- Small restaurants and great seafood
- Further away in Villa Olympica you can find clubs to dance such as Shoko, CDLC, Opium and Pacha
Tip: So easy to get to from the city that there is no excuse for not seeing the beach and sea!
Search for a hotel here, if you love the beach and would like to wake up seeing the beach!
Vila de Gracia
Gracia is the area where you’ll find the most local people. Also here you can find bars and coffee shops as well as local designer stores.
It is the perfect quarter to go hunting the real hearth of Barcelona.
What can you find in Gracia?
- Small and cute coffee shops
- Local people
- Bars for tapas and small restaurants
Search for a hotel here, if you are looking for a calmer area but still would like to have bars and restaurants close by.
Eixample is the modern quarter of Barcelona. You can find the most famous buildings from Gaudi, elegant bars and restaurants. Lots of starred restaurants, rooftop terraces, shops all over the place and anything else you’d might need.
What can you find in Eixample?
- La Sagrada Familia and Gaudi’s houses La Pedrera and Casa Batlló
- Shops from commercial to luxury
- Elegant and Michelin starred restaurants
- Tapas bars
- Elegant bars
- You can also find the gay quarter
- Higher up in direction of ‘Sant Gervasi’ you can find some of the most famous clubs in Barcelona such as Bling Bling, Gatsby and Sutton.
Search for a hotel here, if you love elegant restaurants, bars and clubs. If you’re looking to go shopping and want to have everything just view steps away!
Last but not least el Raval is a more alternative area. Filled with vintage shops, Chinese and Indian supermarkets and people from all over the world.
The area is growing and starting to get cool just now. You’ll find lots of played-back bars and crazy small tapas restaurants.
What can you find in El Raval?
- Vintage shops
- International supermarkets
- Crazy or layed-back bars
- Small restaurants
Tip: Pickpocketing and at night some dark streets. Try to avoid them!
Search for a hotel here, if you love alternative areas of a town, small pubs and cheap drinks.
P.s. Read more about Barcelona here. You can find out about the best restaurants or lunch places. Planning to escape the city? Then read here! Or looking for a day to relax in one of Barcelona’s best Spas?